China & Australia: China needs 6 more months tor Australian barley anti-dumping probe
Chinas commerce ministry said on November 14 it will extend an anti-dumping investigation into imports of Australian barley by another six months, Reuters reported.
The probe, launched a year ago, will be completed by May 19, 2020, said the Ministry of Commerce in a statement on its website.
Seen by many traders as politically motivated, the probe will further damage barley trade between the two countries, which has already suffered from the year-long investigation.
It will also test the political relationship, which has deteriorated in recent years amid allegations that Beijing has committed cyber-attacks and has attempted to interfere in Canberras domestic affairs.
The ministrys decision comes even after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Chinese Premier Li Keqiang met earlier this month and promised to try to improve the relationship.
World Trade Organization rules state anti-dumping probes should be completed within one year, though investigators have an option of an additional six months.
Australia is by far Chinas top supplier of barley, which is used both in brewing and livestock feed. It exported 6.48 million tonnes in 2017, close to three-quarters of Chinas imports, and worth about $1.5 billion.
So far this year, however, it has only shipped 2.3 million tonnes to China, or just under half of Chinas barley purchases.
E-malt.com, the global information source for the brewing and malting industry professionals. The bi-weekly E-malt.com Newsletters feature latest industry news, statistics in graphs and tables, world barley and malt prices, and other relevant information. Click here to get full access to E-malt.com. If you are a Castle Malting client, you can get free access to E-malt.com website and publications. Contact us for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org .